Washing your jeans is an essential part of owning raw denim. By washing you prolong the life cycle of your jeans and tbh it keeps the funk away. Below we have laid out an easy and approachable way to wash your jeans at home. This method is gentle. It will preserve all the hard fade work while also removing grime. That's a win, win.
Time: 30 minutes, plus time for air drying
- Your jeans
- A bathtub or bucket
- Two towels (white not recommended)
- Dr. Bronner's soap or a light / natural detergent
1. Fill your bathtub with lukewarm water till you have enough to cover your jeans. Add a 2-3 tablespoons of soap. Agitate the water to mix.
2. Flip your jeans inside out. Fully submerge them in the water.
3. Using your hands, agitate the jeans under water. This helps loosen the gunk that has built up. Focus on the extra dirty areas like the cuffs and the groin. Do this for around 3-5 minutes.
4. After you've given your jeans a good rub down. Your tub should look like this. The water has gone murky from the dirt.
5. Drain your tub and rinse your jeans with cold water until the water runs clear.
6. Using a technique commonly called the swimmer fold you are going to lay your jeans on a towel. Fold the towel around your jeans. Fold the towel in half and then from one side, begin to tightly roll your jeans while pressing down to release the water.
*If needed, redo swimmers fold with another towel.
7. Unravel the jeans and hang until air dried.